The Blue Plaque Initiative
Since 2006, the Society has affixed over 23 Blue Plaques to buildings and places of historic or public interest across Bridgwater and its district. This project, financed by the Heritage Lottery Fund, permanently commemorates our historic past. Further to our original collaboration with the Bridgwater Arts Centre on the 'Building of Bridgwater' project (see our Projects Page) to date, we have affixed Blue Plaques to the following places:
UK History of Blue Plaques
The notion of a 'memorial tablet' was first suggested in 1863 by MP William Ewart at the House of Commons. Subsequently, commemorative plaques were erected across London. The design was initially experimental but the blue appearance was approved in 1921. Since 1986, English Heritage has managed the scheme in London. It is from this scheme that many other local organizations have echoed the recognition of important heritage assets across the country. For a detailed history, click on the English Heritage image.
Plaque and Plinth -2012
Plaques Affixed -2009
Plaques Affixed -2006
'The Museum Of The Street'
Open Plaques is a community based project started in 2009 which documents, catalogues and promotes commemorative plaques (often blue and round) installed on buildings and other public landmarks in the UK and beyond. This a brilliant research tool for browsing a catalogue detailing the location and history of all Blue Plaques.
Attribution of Images
Please note - these images, unless otherwise specified (see below), are the copyright of the Bridgwater and District Civic Society with named individuals: H West, P Smeed, P Cattermole, M Peterson and M Searle. Images also from www.geograph.org.uk, www.bridgwater.net, www.bridgwatertown.com, www.bridgwatersomerset.info, www.openplaques.org and The Local Data Company. With gratitude.